Nowadays there are lots of different opportunities in healthcare and many people across the globe want to pursue a career in phlebotomy due to immense prospects and career growth. Phlebotomy is a vital procedure in the healthcare sector as most of the doctors and health practitioners decide the line of treatment after evaluating the blood reports of the patients. A slight error by phlebotomist might result in a dangerous consequence, and hence whole procedure has to be performed with perfection for accurate test report. With proper training from reliable and reputed medical school, aspiring phlebotomist will be able to understand phlebotomy and the relevant procedures associated with it better and can have smooth working experience.
Be well informed
Most of the aspiring phlebotomists know that phlebotomy is not all about venipuncture. Along with drawing blood phlebotomist have to carry out a series of actions to before and after the venipuncture procedure. Some of the significant job duties that every health care center, hospitals, clinics, etc. expect from professional phlebotomists are:
- Proper identification of the patients and comforting them so that they feel relaxed and confident
- Verify the patient’s condition such as fasting, dietary restrictions, medications timing, etc.
- Selecting proper equipment and suitable site for venipuncture
- Collect the sample in the appropriate phlebotomy tubes as per test requirements
- Dispose of used materials in designated containers
- Labeling each specimen properly with correct personal information of the patients such as name, age, DOB, blood type, etc.
- Last but not the least transporting the specimen to the nearby laboratory with great care so that each specimen can reach to the destination in perfect condition.
Build interpersonal skill
As a phlebotomist you will get the opportunity to come across patients of different age group, gender, location, profession, medical history, etc. and hence it is very important to have a pleasing personality so that it becomes easy to gain their confidence of patient instantly consequently they will be cooperative more during the procedure. Patient care is utmost important in the healthcare industry, and the medical staffs should be able to handle each patient with love and respect. Some of the areas where every health professionals need to work on are:
- Work Ethic
- Open to feedback
- Body language
Choose the right tube for the right test
Phlebotomy tubes are crucial components of phlebotomy, and every phlebotomist knows the significance of the order of draw of the tube as per test requirements. With a proper understanding of additive, additive function and volume phlebotomists can perform the phlebotomy procedure smoothly as mentioned in their job profile. The proper order is
- Red-gray or gold –SST
- Dark green-sodium heparin
- Light green- PST
- Lavender- EDTA
- Pale yellow- ACDA or ACDB
- Light gray- oxalate/fluoride
Phlebotomists must adhere to adhering to all the laboratory safety procedures to prevent the spread of diseases. Equipment widely used in phlebotomy are:
- Alcohol Wipes
- Povidone-iodine wipes/swabs
- Gauze sponges
- Adhesive bandages/tape
- Needle disposal unit